West by Southwest to Stickney

Chapter 4 Photos, 1–37

(photos 38–73 here)

Extending the Sanitary & Ship Canal

Show More

© 2020 by Everything Goes Media, LLC

Conspire Creative

Everything Goes Media

Lake Claremont Press

Lake Claremont Press: A Chicago Joint

S. Woodhouse Books

Photo 4.29

Generating unit two in the foreground consists of a rotor inside a stator. The rotor shaft is in line with the turbine shaft. Seven identical generating units were installed and operating by 1911. By December 10, 1907, intermittent generation of electricity at Lockport had been occurring for three weeks. Transmission to Chicago began in 1908 after customers were connected to a distribution network. (MWRD photo 3815)