West by Southwest to Stickney

Chapter 4 Photos, 1–37

(photos 38–73 here)

Extending the Sanitary & Ship Canal

Show More

© 2020 by Everything Goes Media, LLC

Conspire Creative

Everything Goes Media

Lake Claremont Press

Lake Claremont Press: A Chicago Joint

S. Woodhouse Books

Photo 4.17

By July 14, 1910, the Sixteenth Street bridge over the extended Sanitary & Ship Canal, had been in operation for three years and the bridgetender’s house located at road level on the side of the bridge lacked good visibility of oncoming boats. It was eventually replaced with a new house positioned within the truss above the swing pier and road traffic. When the swing bridge was open, the bridgetender lacked direct access to the canal bank. (MWRD photo 161A)