West by Southwest to Stickney

Chapter 3 Photos

Original Sanitary & Ship Canal Completion and Improvment

Show More

© 2020 by Everything Goes Media, LLC

Conspire Creative

Everything Goes Media

Lake Claremont Press

Lake Claremont Press: A Chicago Joint

S. Woodhouse Books

Photo 3.26

A view from the Western Ave. bridge on August 11, 1924. The main substation on the south bank of the S&S Canal served as the nerve center of District electrical and waterway operations from 1907 to 1965. It was commonly referred to as “31st and Western.” Other buildings on the site served as the center for operations and maintenance of the electrical distribution system until the system was phased out in the 30s and 40s. The site is now leased to the Chicago Park District. (MWRD photo 11076)