West by Southwest to Stickney

Chapter 3 Photos

Original Sanitary & Ship Canal Completion and Improvment

Show More

© 2020 by Everything Goes Media, LLC

Conspire Creative

Everything Goes Media

Lake Claremont Press

Lake Claremont Press: A Chicago Joint

S. Woodhouse Books

Photo 3.25

This building on the south bank of the Sanitary & Ship Canal west of Western Avenue is being constructed at the same time as the Lockport Powerhouse. Picture here, it is about half finished, March 21, 1907. It was completed by November 1907 when the first electrical power was transmitted from Lockport. The building served as the main substation for the distribution of electricity by the District. (MWRD photo 3654)