Calumet: First and Forever

Prologue

CFF-Photo P.1
CFF-Photo P.1

Photo P1. The Hyde Park Water Works, built by Hyde Park Township, was located on the southeast corner of Sixty-Eighth Street and Oglesby Avenue. The works began service in August 1882, supplying over 60 million gallons per day in its first year. After annexation to Chicago in 1889, it was operated by the city and eventually replaced with a newer facility. (Photo from History of Cook County, by A. T. Andreas, 1884)