Building the Canal to Save Chicago

Chapter 7 Photos

Earth Section

Show More

© 2020 by Everything Goes Media, LLC

Conspire Creative

Everything Goes Media

Lake Claremont Press

Lake Claremont Press: A Chicago Joint

S. Woodhouse Books

BC-Photo 7.14

July 7, 1894. A dipper dredge used to excavate the Main Channel in Section O. Being an extension of the South Branch, this part of Section O was excavated by floatable equipment. The portion of Section O east of the Eight-Track Railroad Bridge was the only part of the Main Channel completely excavated in this manner. The spoil was loaded into scows, towed to the Chicago Harbor, and used to make land along the lakefront in what is now Grant Park. (MWRD photo, disc 3, image 77)