Building the Canal to Save Chicago

Chapter 12 Photos

Placing the Main Channel in Operation

Show More

© 2020 by Everything Goes Media, LLC

Conspire Creative

Everything Goes Media

Lake Claremont Press

Lake Claremont Press: A Chicago Joint

S. Woodhouse Books

BC-Photo 12.1

December 1, 1899. The location where water from the South Fork of the South Branch was introduced in Section O to fill the excavated Main Channel. A wooden flume, seen in the center, was constructed in the northwest bank of the Main Channel adjacent to the south end of the Collateral Channel. The Chicago, Madison and Northern Railroad Bridge is to the left and the center pier for the Kedzie Avenue Bridge is seen below the railroad bridge. (MWRD photo, disc 13, image 67)